[Avodah] Kiddush in Shul - Friday night

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Oct 30 08:19:06 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:59:25PM +1100, SBA wrote:
: In the early days (1950s), the Minhag in our Shul was for the Chazan to make
: Kiddush in Shul after Maariv - Friday night.
: This minhag was abandoned quite a long time ago. No idea why.

Minhag midorei doros, part of the nusach hatefillah in Ashkanaz, and
non-trivial to know how one is allowed to (I assume RRW would say in-
hachi-nami, it isn't), never mind /why/ they did.

The way I heard it told, the point was to provide qiddush for those living
in the Hakhnasis Orchim, the poorhouse, or in some areas, the back of the
shul. The Litvisher yeshivos noted they didn't have people who couldn't
have qiddush at home, and any lengthening of maariv was coming out of
learning time, so they dropped it. As yeshiva orientation broadened,
the minhag wained.

Micha Berger             It is our choices...that show what we truly are,
micha at aishdas.org        far more than our abilities.
http://www.aishdas.org                           - J. K. Rowling
Fax: (270) 514-1507