[Avodah] Kiddush in Shul - Friday night

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Oct 30 09:30:12 PDT 2008

Micha Berger wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:59:25PM +1100, SBA wrote:

>> This minhag was abandoned quite a long time ago. No idea why.

> Minhag midorei doros, part of the nusach hatefillah in Ashkanaz, and
> non-trivial to know how one is allowed to (I assume RRW would say in-
> hachi-nami, it isn't), never mind /why/ they did.

The trouble is that it's also non-trivial to know how one is allowed
to say this kiddush, since nobody is yotze with it.

> The way I heard it told, the point was to provide qiddush for those
> living in the Hakhnasis Orchim, the poorhouse, or in some areas, the
> back of the shul. The Litvisher yeshivos noted they didn't have people
> who couldn't have qiddush at home, and any lengthening of maariv was
> coming out of learning time, so they dropped it.

This is in SA OC 269.  The SA recommends that the minhag be discontinued,
and reports that it is not done in EY, but not surprisingly it continued
in Ashkenaz.

Also see SA Harav 343:6 who explains how we can give the wine to ketanim,
before they have been yotze kiddush.  In part, his heter rests on the
fact that even in his day there were sometimes people spending shabbos
in the shul or an attached building, who were yotze with this kiddush,
and thus the ketanim didn't get the wine *every* week.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.