[Avodah] women lighting candles

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 18:24:26 PST 2008

From: "kennethgmiller at juno.com" _kennethgmiller at juno.com_
(mailto:kennethgmiller at juno.com)

>>  MB 675:9 quotes the Olas Shmuel that "although by us, each one lights by
himself, nevertheless a woman does not have to light because they are merely
tafel to the men (havayan rak tefeilos la'anashim). If they want to light,
they  do say the brachos, because it is like other mitzvos aseh shehazman grama
that  they can say brachos on. When the man is not home, the woman should
light,  because she *is* obligated, and *with* a bracha -- and not by having a
child  light."

....I find it particularly noteworthy that he invokes the  concept of
"mitzvos aseh shehazman grama" and the (Ashkenazi) psak that women  *do* say the
brachos on such mitzvos. This seems to contradict his own admission  that women
*are* obligated on their own. <<

Akiva Miller

He didn't say they are obligated "on their own" -- you  added those words.
He just said women are obligated and are yotzei  with their husbands'
lighting.  It seems to me exactly the same as saying  kiddush on Shabbos.  I don't see
where your problem is or why you think  there is a contradiction in the MB.
You created the contradiction by adding  the words "on their own."  I guess you
thought those words were implied  when he said "women are obligated" but
that's not correct.  A woman can  either be yotzei with her husband's kiddush on
Shabbos or she can make her own  if she doesn't want to wait until he comes
home from shul.  The  facts that she is 1. obligated in kiddush and 2. yotzei
with another person's  kiddush are not a contradiction.

--Toby Katz
=========

Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.