[Avodah] Maoz Tsur

SBA Gmail sbasba at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 21:10:57 PST 2008

I noticed  last week's Dushinsky Torah newsletter mention that in the verse
'Yevanim', the correct version in "uminosar kankanim" is "NAASOH (with a
kometz) neis lashoshanim".

I have always said and heard it as NAASEH (with a segol).
I took a bit of survey - and that is how nearly everyone sings it. (Some
suggested that "naaseh" can also mean past tense.)

So I checked Artscroll, Otzar Hatefillos and Avodas Yisroel (Baer) and all
have it with the kometz.

So my question is, is this a charedi/chassidish common error, or do others
also say it thus?

2)

>From this we got on to "vetimu kol hashmanim" (generally said with a pasach
by the same people).
Upon checking - this is also printed with a kometz - HASHMONIM.

(I realise that this is not an issue for Sfardim and Israelis. In fact
someone suggested that the mechaber of Maoz Tzur may indeed have  been a
Sfardi - thus mixing his kometz and pasachs...)

So why isn't 'Chashmanim'  also with a kometz? (Presumably 'kankanim' with a
pasach is OK.).

Yelamdenu Raboseinu

SBA (who knows almost nothing about such matters0