[Avodah] Maoz Tsur

Michael Poppers MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Wed Dec 31 18:28:39 PST 2008

In Avodah Digest V25#431 (yes, I'm way behind, but I checked newer digests'
respective ToCs and only saw the FWD of RSM [bcc:ed]'s thoughts), RSBA
asked:
> I have always said and heard it as NAASEH (with a segol). I took a bit of
survey - and that is how nearly everyone sings it....is this a
charedi/chassidish common error, or do others also say it thus? <
The word has always been sung in KAJ and in my current and past homes w/ a
qamatz.  (BTW, KAJ and my family [and, presumably, some others] sang/sing a
certain other word differently than it's apparently recorded in most of
today's contemporary printings: we say "kalah" [in the 2nd stanza], you say
"kilah," and that what makes the world go 'round :) [especially as both
pronunciations are meaningful, albeit different].)

> So why isn't 'Chashmanim'  also with a kometz? (Presumably 'kankanim'
with a
pasach is OK.). <
See T'hilim 68:32.  Methinks the real Q is whether to say "hash'manim" with
a patach (to match "Chashmanim") or with a qamatz (as per proper diqduq)
;-) (guess what we, and KAJ, do).   (Yes, "qanqanim" is w/ a
pasach[-pasach-chiriq].)

A guten Shabbes and all the best from
--Michael Poppers via RIM pager