[Avodah] Question on Avraham's Behavior

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Nov 9 02:14:58 PST 2008

I came upon the following question someone recently asked. I never
thought of it but I'd be interested if anyone else did. Also, there is
some converse parallel to Noah and Avraham.

Why is it that when Avraham was with his wife and she was being taken
away from him by Pharoah he sad idly by and did not fight for her.
Later on when Lot (who was somewhat of a traitor by leaving him and
going to Sedom) was captured in the war with the 4 kings against the 5
kings, Avraham ran with Eliezer to save him. In the former case, when
his wife was being threatened to be violated by Pharoah and his men,
Avraham did virtually nothing except act meekly. Suddenly when it came
to Lot he found his boldness. Anyone else bothered by our fathers
actions here. Anyone have a good reasonable explanation?

ri