[Avodah] Is the term "He died before his time" correct?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 28 11:14:20 PDT 2008

I was just reminded of something else, something R' Jack Love once
pointed out to me. It's tangential, but IMHO interesting.

Chazal on parashas Shemos tell us that when Moshe looked "vayar ki ein
ish" before killing the Mitzri, he was really looking into the Mitzri's
future offspring to see who would come from him. And he didn't see anyone.

RJL pointed out how odd this is at face value: Moshe shouldn't have seen
anyone else being born from this Mitzri, after all, we know what's about
to happen, and he's going to die in a few moments. Moshe must have had
the ability to see subjunctively, who would have come from this Mitzri
in that version of reality.

RJL then uses this to support Everett's Many Worlds interpretation of QM,
but that's a different subject.

The tie-in to our discussion is that it implies that there could be
meaning to "ought to"s that don't actually happen.

Micha Berger             Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone
micha at aishdas.org        or something in your life actually attracts more
http://www.aishdas.org   of the things that you appreciate and value into
Fax: (270) 514-1507      your life.         - Christiane Northrup, M.D.