[Avodah] Is the term "He died before his time" correct?

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 12:38:16 PDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:14:20 -0400
Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> Chazal on parashas Shemos tell us that when Moshe looked "vayar ki ein
> ish" before killing the Mitzri, he was really looking into the Mitzri's
> future offspring to see who would come from him. And he didn't see anyone.
>
> RJL pointed out how odd this is at face value: Moshe shouldn't have seen
> anyone else being born from this Mitzri, after all, we know what's about
> to happen, and he's going to die in a few moments. Moshe must have had
> the ability to see subjunctively, who would have come from this Mitzri
> in that version of reality.

This seems to be even more evident from Brachos 10a, where Hizkiyahu
justifies his abstention from procreation on the grounds that he had
seen B'Ruah Ha'Kodesh that his descendants would be undesirables.

> Micha Berger             Feeling grateful  to or appreciative of  someone

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - bdl.freehostia.com
A discussion of Hoshen Mishpat, Even Ha'Ezer and other matters