[Avodah] Praying to angels

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Oct 7 15:43:59 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 04:32:13PM -0400, Richard Wolpoe wrote:
: Actaulyl we debated this. There are those who say taht mal'achim do NOT lakc
: behira but lack a yetzer horo

I phrased it as a machloqes between the Rambam and the OS on the Rambam,
in his essay "Hakol Tzadfui" on Hil' Teshuvah.

AISI, the OS is saying that mal'akhim have bechirah in theory, but there
are no decisions to be made. Much like REED's notion of having bechirah,
but only few decisions actually being at the nequdas habechirah where
conscious decisionmaking, ie bechirah chafshis, occurs.

In the first iteration of the discussion, RYGB suggested that perhaps
the Or Samei'ach would say that a mal'akh sent on a mission down here,
such that he as existence in both realms, could have bechirah. Such a
mal'ach could be fooled by the nature of this world, just like a person
could.

I don't know how one distinguishes this from the mal'akh who tells the
grass to grow, who doesn't have bechirah (as far as I can tell) and is
doing a mission on earth.

I also don't know how this comment by the OS fits his comment in the MC
on "betzalmeinu kidmuseinu", where he identified Tzelem E-lokim as
bechirah. Man is above angels, who are not betzelem. And yet, they were
given bechirah -- even if (contra RYGB) OS actually holds it was never
used?