[Avodah] Praying to angels

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Oct 5 14:18:17 PDT 2008

From: "Danny Schoemann" <

>>We do see cases of angels making mistakes. Some  examples:

- The Bnei Elohim were supposedly angles who seduced  humans

- The angels that went to destroy Sdom had to admit to Lot that  all
was not in their hands, after bragging they were in charge.

- In  Chagiga there's a story of the Angel of Death's gofer killing the
wrong  person - and it's made to sound like a non-rare  occurrence.<<

I've always understood this kind of stories in a  "dibra Torah beloshon bnei
Adam" kind of way, that they are stories told as seen  from a human
perspective with lessons that we humans are supposed to learn from  them.   On a more
fundamental level, even the "mistakes" made by  angels are willed and decided by
Hashem, like robots that are programmed to  occasionally "make mistakes" so
that the humans who are interacting with them  will have some particular role
to fill.

An analogy to this would be the trees in Bereishis that were supposed to  be
"etz pri oseh pri" -- the wood and bark was supposed to be edible fruit  but
the trees "didn't listen" and instead produced inedible trunks.   Obviously the
trees had no free will and both what they were "supposed" to do  and what
they actually did do came straight from Hashem with no mediating  thoughts on the
part of the trees.

--Toby  Katz
GCT