[Avodah] Praying to angels

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 07:30:25 PDT 2008

and R' Richard Wolpoe wrote:
> So a Mal'ach can do not harm unless Hashem asks him to do harm, but a
> Mal'ach might have bechira within certain parameters of yetzer tov.

I've been thinking more about my "telephone operator" parable and the
reactions that angels don't have a choice but to do the right thing.

We do see cases of angels making mistakes. Some examples:

- The Bnei Elohim were supposedly angles who seduced humans

- The angels that went to destroy Sdom had to admit to Lot that all
was not in their hands, after bragging they were in charge.

- In Chagiga there's a story of the Angel of Death's gofer killing the
wrong person - and it's made to sound like a non-rare occurrence.

- In Chagiga there's even a story of the "boss" MTTRN getting lashes
for making an error in judgement.

So while I don't fully understand what I'm talking about - and I say
these prayers because I like their tunes - I think a case can be made
that the angels who transport our prayers can use some "prodding" so
they don't "drop the ball"...

Gmar Chatima Tova

- Danny