[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Sun Mar 23 02:20:09 PDT 2008

R' Michael Makovi wrote:
>> R' Daniel Eidensohn
>>
>>  It is problematic to understand the Rambam as viewing tinok shenisha as
>>  blameless.
>>
>>  *Rambam (Hilchos Mamrim 3:3) ...and people should not be quick to kill them.
>>
>>  See the index to sources on the Frankel Rambam that understand that if
>>  they don't repent they can be killed
>>

> Indeed, Rambam says you shouldn't be quick to kill them, which he
> implies that he is rather ambivalent about their right to live. So
> indeed, he doesn't seem to see them as blameless.
>

> Rambam I'll agree with you. Chazon Ish, based on what you've shown so
> far, I will not agree with you.

I did a search with Bar Ilan and the majority view seems to be that
dealing with tinok shenishba reflects the likelihood of getting them to
do teshuva - and not their degree of blamelessness. An example is the
Ginas Veradim who criticises the Mizrachi's view that the Rambam didn't
mean that they were deserving of killing. It is reasonable that the
Chazon Ish would agree with this view.

*Ginas Veradim[1] <#_ftn1>(Orech Chaim 2:31): *We need to investigate
careful this that Rambam states in a teshuva that is cited by the
Mizrachi (#57). “*Question*: Concerning those Karaites is it permitted
to circumcise their sons on Shabbos? *Answer*: It is correct to respect
them and to approach them with honest actions and to deal with them with
humility, truth and peace – as long as they also deal with us pleasantly
without strident words and mistaken criticism of the words of the rabbis
of the generation…If they act properly towards us it is correct to honor
them and to ask after their welfare even in their homes and to
circumcise their sons even on Shabbos and to bury their dead and to
comfort their mourners…” These are the words of the Rambam. But the
Rambam seems to contradict himself in this matter. We see in this
teshuva that the Rambam is exceedingly careful about the need to honor
the Karaites and to ask after their welfare and to circumcise their
sons. But if they are deserving of being killed [as is stated in Hilchos
Mamrim 3:3] why should there be so much concern for respecting them and
to circumcise their sons on Shabbos? The Mizrachi strains to reconcile
this contradictions and makes the “elephant pass through the eye of a
needle.” He suggests that the expression in Hilchos Mamrim 3:3 “not to
be hasty to kill them” does not mean  that ultimately it is necessary to
kill them but the Rambam’s intent in this phrase reverts back to the
genuine heretics – the Tzadokim and the Baysusim  - to whom no mercy is
to be shown at all and no hestitation should exist for killing them. In
contrast the Mizrachi insists that the modern Karaites are not in the
category of “quickly killing them” which is in truth applicable to the
Tzadokim and the Baysusim. The Mizrachi has to go to extreme lengths in
changing the meaning of the Rambam’s words in Hilchos Mamrim in order to
justify this reading. However it is not compatible with the Rambam’s
commentary at the beginning of Chulin. And the Mizrachi concludes that
the matter requires further thought….However in my humble opinion the
resolution of the different statements of the Rambam is quite clear and
obvious. Concerning the respectful stance of the Rambam in the teshuva
and circumcising their sons on Shabbos – it only applies to those
Karaites who we have experienced that they relate to us with respect and
openess without harsh and strident language against us and our rabbis.
Since they have reached  this level of respect towards us they are
fairly close to repenting and rejoining us. Therefore they are to
betreated with dignity and we assist them with whatever mitzvos we can.
It is not like assisting them in idolatry because it is reasonable and
likely that they will return to the true Torah way. This understanding
is also supported from the teshuva of Rabbeinu Hai Gaon that is cited by
the Mizrachi. “ Concerning mila our rabbis have not refrained from
circumcising the sons of Karaites on Shabbos because it is possible that
they will repent.” We see clearly that Rabbeinu Hai Gaon justifies the
circumcision on Shabbos with the reason that it is possible that  they
will repent – as is stated in the Tur that they have to have a Jewish
mother. The reason is not because they have the absolute status of Jew
regarding gittin and kidushin. Because even if they are complete Jews
one can not be lenient and circumcise their sons because there is no
benefit when they grow up as heretics and as rejecters of rabbinic
authority. Therefore the reconciliation of the apparent inconsistencies
in the Rambam is that there are two different types of Karaites. The
first type is referred to in the Rambam’s commentary to Chullin and in
Hilchos Mamrim 3:3 and for these it would be prohibited to circumcise
their sons on Shabbos or even during the week. The second type are those
that are predisposed to repent and for them it is permitted to
circumcise their sons even on Shabbos.

[1] <#_ftnref1>  *גינת ורדים (אורח חיים ב:לא):* וכפי זה יש מקום עיון
שכתב הרמ"בם בתשובה הובאה בתשובו' הרא"ם סי' נז וז"ל על אלו הקראין אם ראוי
למול בניהם בשבת והשיב הרמ"בם שראוי לחלק להם כבוד להתקרב אצלן במעשה יושר
ולהתנהג עמם במדת הענוה ובדרך האמת והשלום כל זמן שגם הם יתנהגו עמנו
בתמימות ויסירו מהן עקשות פה ולזות שפתים מלדבר תועה על דברי חכמי הרבנים
שבדור וכו' ובזאת נכון לנו לכבדן וללכ' /לשאול/ בשלומם אפי' בבתיהם ולמול
את בניהם ואפי' בשבת ולקבור את מתיהם ולנחם אבליהם וכו' עכ"ל ולכאורה נראין
דבריו סותרין אלו את אלו שבתשובה זו הרבה זירז וצוה לכבדן ולשאול בשלומם
ולמול את בניהם בשבת ואם בני מות המה מה מקום לכל הכבוד הזה ולעשות להם
מילה בשבת והר' הגדול הרא"ם נדחק ליישב דברים אלו ועייל פילה בקופא דמחטא
לו' שמה שכתב שאין למהר להורגן לאו למימרא דסוף סוף צריך להורגן רק כונתו
על צדוק וביתוס הראשונים שעליהם אין לחוס כלל ולא להשהות הריגתן ואלו
הקראין דבזמן הזה אינם בכלל ימהר להורגן כמו בצדוק ובייתוס הראשונים וכמה
סבל הרב מן הדוחק לתקן לשון הרב דבה' ממרין אכן ליישב דבריו דבפירוש המשנה
דבריש חולין לא מצא ארוכ' לזווגו עם תשובה זו ומסיק בה בצריך עיון והרב
מוהריק"ש ז"ל הרבה לתמוה על דברי הרא"ש בתשוב' סי' לד.

ולע"ד החילוק מבואר ועומד וצווח ככרוכיא דלא לימד עליהם הרב זכות בתשובה
והתי' למול בשבת אלא בשכבר ניסו שהן מתנהגי' עמנו בדברי יושר ובתמימו'
ויסירו מהם עקשות פה ולזות שפתי' דאז כשכבר באו לידי תבונה ומדה זו הלא הם
קרובים לתשובה המזכה אותם שיעשו איזה מצוה אין כזורק אבן למרקוליס כי קרוב
הוא שישוב לאיתן התורה.  וכן נראה גם כן מתשובת רבינו האיי גאון שכתבה
הרא"ם ז"ל שם וז"ל ולענין מילה מעולם לא נמנעו רבותינו ע"ה מלמול את בניהם
של קראין בשבת כי אפשר שיחזרו למוטב ואין מעבירין עליהם ע"כ. הרי דתלי טעם
ההתיר של מילה כשאיפשר שיחזרו למוטב וכדפי' דברי הטור דהצריך שתהי' אמו
ישראלית ולא תלי טעמא לפי שיש להם דין ישראל בהחלט לענין גיטין וקדושין
שאפי' שיש להם דין ישראל גמור אין להקל ולמולן כיון דלאו מידי קמהני שמגדל
בן פריץ דמפקר ברבנן ואם כן שתי כתות של קראין יש בכאן כת א' והיא אותה
שכתב עליה הרב בריש חולין ובריש פ"ג דה' ממרין והנהו אסור למולן בשבת ואפי'
בחול וכשיטת הרב שכתבנו וכת ב' כשהם נוחין לשוב דאז מותר למולן ואפי' בשבת.