[Avodah] Hot Cheese for Shabbat Lunch

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 14 12:08:44 PDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:58:46AM -0500, Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
: If I'm interpreting the Gemara correctly, it seems to indicate that for
: health reasons one should eat meat once a week (based on one's particular
: circumstances - Ayin Sham), and that because of Kavod Shabbos one should eat
: that meat on Shabbos. So yes, the Gemara is saying that we should eat meat
: on Shabbos.

OT1H, kevod Shabbos is a concept that lends itself for absolute or
communal definition, as opposed to the individual's preference.

OTOH, it's possible the gemara means that "because of kevod Shabbos, one
choose it eat their treat that they can't afford to have daily" using
meat as the overwhelmingly common example.

Kind of like a statement of Beis Shammai's understanding of daving
the best of each week's food for Shabbos. (Whereas in Chai H' we ask
for a berakhah "keHillel velo keShammai" -- a glorious Shabbos without
needing rationing.)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Nothing so soothes our vanity as a display of
micha at aishdas.org        greater vanity in others; it makes us vain,
http://www.aishdas.org   in fact, of our modesty.
Fax: (270) 514-1507              -Louis Kronenberger, writer (1904-1980)