[Avodah] Hot Cheese for Shabbat Lunch

Jacob Farkas jfarkas at compufar.com
Tue Mar 18 13:56:20 PDT 2008

> On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:58:46AM -0500, R' Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
> : If I'm interpreting the Gemara correctly, it seems to indicate that for
> : health reasons one should eat meat once a week (based on one's particular
> : circumstances - Ayin Sham), and that because of Kavod Shabbos one
> should eat
> : that meat on Shabbos. So yes, the Gemara is saying that we should eat
> meat
> : on Shabbos.

The Gemara is talking about budgeting and expenses. Meat being the most
expensive item (At that time... fish is far more expensive nowadays.
Apparently in the days of Rashi and Tosfos too, as they make a point of
mentioning that meat was more expensive "bimkomam" of Hazal)

All the Gemara is saying is that you should live within your means, and
allow the more expensive purchases for Shabbos. Kavod Shabbos is never
explicitly mentioned, it can be implied from the narrative though. The
narrative is also quite explicit against consumption of meat in general,
preferring that it remain a specialty food rather than a staple.

R' Micha Berger:
> OT1H, kevod Shabbos is a concept that lends itself for absolute or
> communal definition, as opposed to the individual's preference.
>
> OTOH, it's possible the gemara means that "because of kevod Shabbos, one
> choose it eat their treat that they can't afford to have daily" using
> meat as the overwhelmingly common example.

I think that the latter is most accurate in understanding the Gemara.

> Kind of like a statement of Beis Shammai's understanding of daving
> the best of each week's food for Shabbos. (Whereas in Chai H' we ask
> for a berakhah "keHillel velo keShammai" -- a glorious Shabbos without
> needing rationing.)

Absolutely. This way it flows with the earlier stanza, Yemalei sova
asamai, that we should merit to afford the best for Shabbos.

--Jacob Farkas