[Avodah] O attend R wedding = kosher eidim?

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:48:04 PST 2008

>From Areivim:

> The designation, a relatively recent custom, is to satisfy one opinion in Tosafos, that even
> the seeing by a non-kosher witness makes the testimony of all witnesses invalid.
> Lahalacha, it is only if one of the _testifying_ witnesses is pasul that the principle applies.
>
> EMT

Tosafot would seem to hold then that if one pasul witness invalidates
all the other kosher ones, kal vachomer one hundred pasul R witnesses
will invalidate two O witnesses who happen to be there.

Now, the objection to Tosafot (viz. only the testifying witnesses
count, regardless of who else is there): does the same work in
reverse? If
the testifying witnesses are pasul, but there are kosher potential
witnesses in the vicinity, do only the testifying witnesses count? If
so, we've got no problem with an O potential eid being in the vicinity
of the pasul R designated eidim.

It seems, as far as I can tell so far, that either way, an O can
attend an R wedding.

Mikha'el Makovi