[Avodah] O attend R wedding = kosher eidim?

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Thu Mar 6 16:29:28 PST 2008

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:19:21 -0700 Michael Makovi
<mikewinddale at gmail.com> wrote:
>R' Toby Katz noted that Reb Moshe Feinstein ruled that R eidim are
>unkosher, and thus, there is no wedding, no need for a get, no
>mamzerim.
>
>>> R' Toby Katz:
>>> Of course if two Orthodox Jews attend a C or R wedding, then
they
>>> may be kosher eidim...
>
>> R' Harry Weiss:
>>  That is not necessarily correct.  If one out of a Kat of 100
>> wittnesses in invalid, they are all invalid.
>
>And besides, maybe we could play like R' Akiva in the Sanhedrin,
>i.e. (hypothetically) ask impossible questions? Could this O guy
tell
>me exactly how long it took to say the brachot, or exactly how
full
>the kos was? Or what brand of wine was used? Oh well, I guess he's
not
>a witness...
>
>If this works, would you have to actually ask the O guy the
questions,
>or could we just assume he doesn't know the answers and declare
>him, automatically, not an eid?

If this works why would you need to restrict it to non-O weddings?
We could use this technique to be m'vatel any kiddushin where there
is an agunah.  From the fact that we don't use it there, I would
assume that we couldn't justify using it by non-O.

As to why we don't use it to free agunos, I'm not familiar enough
with the sugya.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu