[Avodah] thought re tonight's RYReisman shiur

Chabad of the Space & Treasure Coasts contact at jewishbrevard.com
Mon Mar 3 11:31:58 PST 2008

From: Michael Poppers <MPoppers at kayescholer.com>
>Hearing RYR talk about "galus m'chaperes avon," I couldn't help thinking
>of one "'prav'ing galus" example he didn't mention: CHaBaD shlichim.

>May all hol'chei d'rachim merit to have their t'filos answered.

Though kavanato r'tzuya, the description of shluchim as "prav'ing galus"
is not quite accurate.

The exercise of "Prav'ing galus" was traditionally reserved for those
who elected a self-imposed state of galut or affliction for the purpose
and intention of spiritual self improvement.

The interest of shluchim is different, their's is to be mikarev libon
shel Yisroel, and if that takes mesirut nefesh, to move family and
children to distant & spiritually desolate places in galut, so be it.
Analogous to the difference bet. the mesirut nefesh of Rabbi Akiva &
Avraham Avinu, R"A longed for it, "Matai Yavo Liyadai V'Akaimenu", A"A
on the other hand, was solely interested in spreading the name of Hashem
(no self (soul)-motives considered), however, when mesirut nefesh was
needed nothing would stop him.

Zvi Konikov