[Avodah] Pre-Sinaitic conversions

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Feb 29 12:12:15 PST 2008

Micha Berger wrote:

> The notion of Yisro being a geir makes understaning the origins of the
> nation of Keini complicated. They are an offshoot of Moav who carry
> one of Yisro's names. He is usually understood to be their forefather.
> And they lived near Amaleiq, because we were to be careful WRT the
> Keini when waging war with Amaleiq. If their progenitor was a Jew, how
> are they another nation? We they Yisro's pre-geirus offspring?

As I have always understood it, the Keini were Jews.  They're a separate
nation in the same sense as all gerim are: they are not of the 12 tribes;
until they intermarry with Bnei Yisrael they are not "kehal Hashem"; and
they have no portion in the land.  They were given the site of Yericho
as a loan, but they couldn't rebuild the city, and once a site had been
picked for the BHMK they would have to give it up to whichever tribe
needed to be compensated.  And as Bil'am prophesied, they were captured
by Ashur together with the 10 tribes, and either returned or will return
together with them.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.