[Avodah] Pre-Sinaitic conversions

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 29 11:57:36 PST 2008

On Fri, February 29, 2008 2:34 pm, R Daniel Israel wrote:
: Yisro?  Does no one who hold he arrived after matan Torah also hold
: that he was m'gayer?  Or did I misunderstand you?

I was under that exact impression -- that if he arrived after matan
Torah, he was not megayeir.

The notion of Yisro being a geir makes understaning the origins of the
nation of Keini complicated. They are an offshoot of Moav who carry
one of Yisro's names. He is usually understood to be their forefather.
And they lived near Amaleiq, because we were to be careful WRT the
Keini when waging war with Amaleiq. If their progenitor was a Jew, how
are they another nation? We they Yisro's pre-geirus offspring?

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."