[Avodah] Pre-Sinaitic conversions

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 12:44:32 PST 2008

From: Zev Sero _zev at sero.name_ (mailto:zev at sero.name)

>>As I have always  understood it, the Keini were Jews.  They're a separate
nation in the  same sense as all gerim are: they are not of the 12 tribes;
until they  intermarry with Bnei Yisrael they are not "kehal Hashem"; and
they have no  portion in the land. <<

Meforshim on Shoftim are all over the place.  Some say the Keini  were Jews,
others say they were non-Jews who were closely allied with the Jews,  and
others say that some of the Keini were Jews and some were not.   Interesting to me
is that they are still called "gerim" by those who consider  them Jews, even
though by the time of Shoftim they have already been Jews for  generations.

This all comes up in the context of Yael (the one who killed Sisrah in her
tent) -- with meforshim disagreeing about whether she was Jewish or  not.

--Toby  Katz

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)