[Avodah] Ashkenazim and Sephardim

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 06:25:23 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 7:52 AM, <T613K at aol.com> wrote:

>  In Avodah Digest, Vol 24, Issue 101 dated 12/20/2007 R' Michael Elzufon <
> Michael at arnon.co.il>
> writes:
>
> >>What is the source for the claim that Ashkenazi practice came from Eretz
> Israel and Sephardi practice came from Bavel?  My impression has always
> been the opposite. <<
>

> I'm coming back to an issue that was raised a couple of months ago,
> because I found something relevant in Berel Wein's book *Herald of Destiny:
> The Story of the Jews in the Medieval Era 750-1650*
>
> He writes: "The reason there emerged, in the early Middle Ages, two
> distinct ethnic and cultural groupings, Sephardic and Ashkenazic, is a
> subject of much scholarly conjecture and controversy." (pg. 78)
>
> Then he has the following footnote, which I quote in full:
>
> ==begin quote==
>
> See, for example, H.J. Zimmels, /Ashkenazim and Sephardim/, (London,
> 1958), pp.1-10, for a review of this question.  Regarding the geographical
> origins that provided the basis for the initial split of the people into two
> groupings, there are also various theories.  Several maintain that the
> Sephardim were mainly Babylonian Jews who brought their customs to Europe,
> while the Ashkenazim were descendants of Palestinian Jews.  Other theories
> reverse these antecedents, making the original Ashkenazim Babylonian and the
> Sephardim Palestinian.  Still others identify the Sephardim as descendants
> of Jews from Jerusalem and southern Palestine, and the Ashkenazim as
> descendants of Jews from northern Palestine.  In short, we can say with
> certainty the precise origins of the distinct groupings are uncertain.
>
> ==end quote==
>
> I think that probably ends the whole subject here on Avodah, although if
> any of our distinguished chaverim have further insights into this question
> I'd be most interested to hear them.
>

> *--Toby Katz
> =============*

Tne answer is simple:
Ashekanzic Liturgy kept Kallir from Israel and Meshulam Ben Kalonymos of
Lucca Italy. IT is fairly well-established fact that Ashkenaz ,looked up to
Italy and Italy to Israel in terms of Minhaggim etc.

Sephardim opposed Piyyutim in Yotzros. Ashkeanzim reveled in it. This can
ONLY be becasue they favored Minhag EY over Bavel.

Ibn Ezra smashed Kallir. Tosafos made him into a Tanna. The rest is history!

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com