[Avodah] Ashkenazim and Sephardim

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 04:52:22 PST 2008

In Avodah Digest, Vol 24, Issue 101 dated 12/20/2007 R' Michael Elzufon
<Michael at arnon.co.il>
writes:

>>What is the source for the claim that Ashkenazi practice came  from Eretz
Israel and Sephardi practice came from Bavel?  My  impression has always
been the opposite. <<

I'm coming back to an issue that was raised a couple of months ago, because
I found something relevant in Berel Wein's book *Herald of Destiny: The Story
of  the Jews in the Medieval Era 750-1650*

He writes: "The reason there emerged, in the early Middle Ages, two  distinct
ethnic and cultural groupings, Sephardic and Ashkenazic, is a subject  of
much scholarly conjecture and controversy." (pg. 78)

Then he has the following footnote, which I quote in full:

==begin quote==

See, for example, H.J. Zimmels, /Ashkenazim and Sephardim/, (London, 1958),
pp.1-10, for a review of this question.  Regarding the geographical  origins
that provided the basis for the initial split of the people into two
groupings, there are also various theories.  Several maintain that the  Sephardim were
mainly Babylonian Jews who brought their customs to Europe, while  the
Ashkenazim were descendants of Palestinian Jews.  Other theories  reverse these
antecedents, making the original Ashkenazim Babylonian and the  Sephardim
Palestinian.  Still others identify the Sephardim as descendants  of Jews from
Jerusalem and southern Palestine, and the Ashkenazim as descendants  of Jews from
northern Palestine.  In short, we can say with certainty the  precise origins of
the distinct groupings are uncertain.

==end quote==

I think that probably ends the whole subject here on Avodah, although if  any
of our distinguished chaverim have further insights into this question I'd
be most interested to hear them.

--Toby  Katz

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)