[Avodah] Tetzaveh "Be Careful What You Wish For"

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 04:22:04 PST 2008

> As for "Mecheini na misifrecha" I just don't know how it's possible to read
> that as a "threat" or an "ultimatum."  He said, "Please erase me from Your
> book."  He didn't say, "If you don't do what I want, I will erase myself
> from Your book."

> --Toby Katz

That is definitely a major aspect - if Hashem erases the nation, Moshe
has no reason to continue, and so he requests to be wiped out with us.

But I think there is a threat aspect, as I said previously: Moshe
says, G-d, the nation DOES deserve to be wiped out, but do I? If you
take them out, You've got to take me out too It's when A wants to hurt
B, and C (whom A does not want to hurt, and will definitely hesitate
to hurt) steps in front of B and tells A that...

Mikha'el Makovi