[Avodah] Tetzaveh "Be Careful What You Wish For"

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Feb 18 14:15:57 PST 2008

From: Cantor Wolberg _cantorwolberg at cox.net_ (mailto:cantorwolberg at cox.net)

>>Regarding the pasuk where Moshe tells HaShem "And now if You  would
forgive their sin -- but if not, erase my name from Your book  that You
have written," and my comment: It seems strange to me that  for someone
who was considered to be the most humble Biblical  character of all
time, had the chutzpah to say to the Almighty: "If  you don't forgive
them, then count me out." It sounds like a  threat.

Two postings were quite defensive about my use of the word  "chutzpah."
It's funny how the same people had no problem in  describing the
chutzpah of Miriam toward her parents (with chazal  justification, I
know). The objections raised to the term chutzpah is  lovely d'rash,
but it's not [p'shat]<<

....Simply put,  who is any man to give God an ultimatum.

Miriam's "chutzpa" was the kind of imploring,  wheedling behavior a charming
child might show towards a doting  parent.

As for "Mecheini na misifrecha" I just don't know how it's possible to read
that as a "threat" or an "ultimatum."  He said, "Please erase me from Your
book."  He didn't say, "If you don't do what I want, I will erase myself  from
Your book."

I believe that what I wrote IS p'shat.

--Toby  Katz

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)