[Avodah] Halachah from Zemiros (was: Hot Cheese for Shabbat Lunch)

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:05:29 PST 2008

R' Jonathan Baker:
> OTOH, RYBS does talk about using piyutim as halachic sources.  The
> yotzer for Shabbat Hagadol expresses at least one opinion which is at
> odds with current practice; it's been a long time since I looked at
> it, so I don't remember what it was, but RRW could probably tell you.
> And IIRC Atah Conanta vs. Amitz Coach exhibit divergent traditions
> about
> Temple practice.  But zmiros seem a lot more random, like Lehrer's "The
> Elements" or the Animaniacs' song about the 50 States, grouping things
> for rhyme or rhythm.

Iyun Tefillah brings a R'ayah from Kol Mekadesh Shevi'i that the Minhag
originally was to say the entire Pasuk of Bereishis 1:31 at the beginning of
the Friday night Kiddush. But I think you are right - the Yotzros were,
IIRC, specifically written to remind everyone of the Halachos pertaining to
that time of the year, unlike the Zemiros which are written to praise
Hashem, Shabbos, and the Jews.
(BTW, I wrote up the Iyun Tefillah and the related Chasam Sofer in A Daily
Dose of Torah (Series One), volume 13, page 202 - for those of you who have
access to it...)

KT,
MYG