[Avodah] Clever collector

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Feb 14 15:46:37 PST 2008

On Wed, February 13, 2008 3:01 pm, Moshe Y. Gluck wrote:
: Question:
: A collector from an organization was nudging a gvir for a nice
: donation.
: Immediately, the collector called up his organization, who deposited
: $20,000 into the man's account and then presented the check for
$100,000
: and withdrew all the money. Quite clever.

We discussed checks in vol 8. In Israel, it's a shetar chov. In the
US, it's easy to cancel a check so it's not even a shetar. RAFolger
didn't discuss other parts of the world (not even Basel).

Even in Israel, I would think there is no qinyan, as the shetar was
poisoned by an asmachta. It never crossed his mind that it was
possible he would pay.

Switching from baseline halakhah to paying the workmen who broke your
barrels... A rhetorical question: Does lying in order to get rid of
someone who doesn't take no for an answer ("... was nudging a gvir
...") justify paying $80,000?

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             "Man wants to achieve greatness overnight,
micha at aishdas.org        and he wants to sleep well that night too."