[Avodah] Clever collector

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Thu Feb 14 18:15:24 PST 2008

R' Mordechai Cohen:
> why isn't this plain geneivah?
>
> if it is true that the exasperated gvir wrote a check that he never
> intended would be cashed, how can you use it a kuntz to extract money
> from his acnt?

Because he wrote an actionable document. I don't think his intent counts
here; the CM gurus on list have to answer this one, though.
I realized after I posted the question (which I'm sure is untrue - I
posted for the theoretical value) that part of the story doesn't make
sense, because in my experience anyone can call a bank, say they have a
check on so-and-so's account #xxxxxxxxxxx, and the bank will tell them
if it will clear. So we have to modify the question that they did call,
and the bank said it wouldn't clear, and they deposited money until the
bank said that it would now clear.

KT,
MYG

Is this an anan sahadei that someone who writes a check for more than
the current balance intends it to bounce?  Who says it will be deposited
right away?

KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.