[Avodah] Critique of Mussar

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Feb 1 07:31:42 PST 2008

At 08:44 PM 1/31/2008, Micha Berger wrote:
>The way I formuilated things, your saying the ikkar of mussar is not
>the notion of having a program for reaching qedushah, but rather the
>holistic definition of qedushah. (With nothing said about the role of
>tiqun hamidos.)

It is hard for me to believe that if someone put real effort into
modelling the actions of RYS that the result would not be that he
would end up with good midos, whatever this means. Indeed, if one
takes the dictum of RYS that "The other person's gashmius is your
ruchnius." seriously, I cannot see how he would not end up with good midos.

Then again, I am reminded of the following story.

There was an older unmarried fellow who was approached by a Shadchan
and asked what he was looking for in a prospective wife.  He replied
that he wanted the most nasty and abrasive woman that could be found.
When asked why, he replied, "It says that a man who is married to a
bad wife gets a big share in the world to come. That is what I want."

Well, the Shadchan eventually found someone who was "suitable," and
they got married.

A couple of months later the new chosson came to the Shadchan and
said, "What have you done to me? You know the kind of woman I was
looking for. However, my wife it the perfect mate. She is always
cheerful. The house is always spotless. When I come home from shul
there is a delicious breakfast waiting for me. Lunch is always on
time and excellent as is dinner.  She never says an unkind word and
never argues with me. What have you done to me?"

The Shadchan was surprised and so she went to the new kallah and
said, "You know, before you were married you were known as not being
the nicest woman in the world. Now your husband tells me that you are
the perfect wife. What is going on?"

She replied, "He is not going to get Olam Haba because of me!!!" >:-}

Yitzchok Levine