[Avodah] Assisted Suicide

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Jan 31 13:16:53 PST 2008

On Sun, January 27, 2008 1:36 pm, RnTK <T613K at aol.com> wrote:
: I'm not sure if you mean this seriously or as a cute drash but the
: pshat surely is not "Hashem creates people and all their defects and
: lacks."

As I already wrote, the Ri ben Yaqar and Avudraham both disagree,
invoking the curse of the nachash as contrast.

The "pei" pasuq in Ashrei (really, in Tehillah leDavid) is very hard
to translate. And yet, there is a chiyuv that it be said with special
kavanah. It is therefore unsurprising we've discussed it here before.

Poseiach es yadekha -- You open Your "Hand"
    belashon hoveh, not tzvui

I might suggest that "yadekha" is meant in contrast to yeminkha -- ie,
midas hadin in particular. Perhaps it's not a request that HQBH start
giving as much as that He stop restraining Himself. The right hand,
chessed, is always trying to give. Din, the need to let His children
be their own people and suffer from their own mistakes, stops it.

Umasbia lekhol kai ratzon

This is grammatically difficult. As an adverb modifying "umasbia" it
would be "beratzon". RMPoppers and I batted around RSRH's take, but
all in all, I recall the following different peshatim:

- and willingly satisfies all living things
- and satisfies the desires of all living things
- and satisfies through the bestowing of His Ratzon, all living things
- he satisfies all people by making them desirable

Last, Rav Kook's (and the reason for this detour:
- and he satisfies all living things by giving them desires, Something
to pursue and thereby have a goal, rather than falling pray to innui.

This take on the pasuq is very much like a berakhah for that which
Hashem didn't give us.

SheTir'u baTov!
-micha

--
Micha Berger             One who kills his inclination is as though he
micha at aishdas.org        brought an offering. But to bring an offering,