[Avodah] Assisted Suicide

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 16:39:57 PST 2008

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 13:36:25 EST
T613K at aol.com wrote:

> From: Micha Berger _micha at aishdas.org_ (mailto:micha at aishdas.org)
>
> >>And there's  the berakhah, we thank/acknowledge HQBH as "Borei nefashos
> rabbos  VECHESRONAM"<<
>

> I'm not sure if you mean this seriously or as a cute drash but the pshat
> surely is not "Hashem creates people and all their defects and lacks."   Rather
> it means, "He creates people and also creates everything that they lack,  i.e.,
> everything that they need."  He gave us needs and He also supplies us  with
> the means to fulfill those needs.  Whenever a person feels he is  lacking

That is indeed one of the interpretations given by the Rishonim,
but another one does indeed understand "v'hesronan" as "defects"
or "lacks". It connects the word to the following clause, however, and
not to the preceding one [0].

[0] See Tur OH 207

> --Toby Katz

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - bdl.freehostia.com
An advanced discussion of Hoshen Mishpat