[Avodah] Assisted Suicide

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Sun Jan 27 12:54:01 PST 2008

In contrast to what R' Harry Maryles and R' Richard Wolberg wrote, I feel that there is a VERY big difference between saying "G-d did not answer that prayer" and saying "G-d answered that prayer with a 'no'".

Namely: People whose faith is a bit (or a lot) weak or shaky have been known to use the former statement as a stepping-stone to denying that G-d even heard the prayer, or to denying that He even exists. But the latter statement is an affirmation that He does exist, He did hear the prayer, and He does have our best interests at heart.

That said, I agree with RRW that to tell someone that "G-d said 'no'" is often cruel and pointless. I still maintain that it is often the correct answer, but one must either figure a way to say it with tact and compassion, or shut up.

Akiva Miller