[Avodah] assisted suicide

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 12:48:20 PST 2008

From: "Micha Berger" _micha at aishdas.org_ (mailto:micha at aishdas.org)
: Wasn't there some  story (someone please tell me where) about the city
: of Luz, a kind of  Shangri-la where no one ever died, but when they got
: very old and tired of  living, they would just leave the city?  Was that
: allowed?  [--TK]

>>I would assert that Luz as described didn't exist.  <<

I agree that it didn't actually exist, but nevertheless, taking the story  on
its own terms -- when people left the city, were they doing something wrong
by leaving?

You also wrote:
>>In either case, if Luz did exist, it would probably refer  to
pre-Yaaqov Beis-El, and the people leaving it to die  weren't
necessarily Jewish.<<

However, bnai Noach are not allowed to commit suicide -- that  falls under
"not killing" in the sheva mitzvos.

--Toby Katz
Romney -- good values,  good family, good hair
Best hope against  Hillary