[Avodah] Roast lamb (from areivim)

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sun Jan 20 09:45:17 PST 2008

T613K at aol.com wrote:
> From: Zev Sero <zev at sero.name>
>  >>Also remember that the KP doesn't have to be a lamb.  It could be a kid.
> I've never had kid, and I'm sure RTK hasn't either, but perhaps she'd
> like it more than lamb.<<
>
>  >>>>>
>  From what I hear, goat meat is very tough.

Kid meat might not be.  And even if it is tough, maybe it just has to
be roasted longer, but you might like the flavour.

> Any of you honchos out there ever eaten it?

Rashi says it tastes like venison, at least enough to fool Yitzchak
Avinu, and I have had venison once.  Didn't think that much of it.

> In any case I seriously don't think I could bring
> myself to eat it.  What about tofu korban Pesach, any chance that will
> be allowed in the Third BHM'K?

Sorry, no.

> That would be more my speed.  Now, just
> curious, but what does Rav Kook say about this?  He was a vegetarian
> IIRC

Nope.

> and even held that vegetarianism is a higher spiritual madreigah
> than carnivorism?  I think.  Does it say anywhere that when Moshiach
> comes and the lion lies down with the lamb, that we will all go back to
> Edenic days and all stop eating meat?  And then what will be with the
> Korban Pesach, or with all the other korbanos?

Hatorah hazot lo tehei muchlefet...

> This reminds me of another only slightly related question that I've had
> for a long time:  what was the point of Hevel being a shepherd

Wool, milk.

> and
> also, what was the point of Hevel sacrificing animals to Hashem, if they
> weren't even allowed to slaughter animals [and/or weren't allowed to eat
> animals] until after the Mabul?

Not sure what your point is.  They weren't allowed to eat meat, so he
wouldn't have brought a korban shlamim, but then a Ben Noach can only
bring an olah anyway.  And since it was an olah, his not being allowed
to eat it wasn't a problem.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.