[Avodah] Chiyuv l'kabel gerim

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:19:35 PST 2008

> The philosophy I'm following is easy to back up from the Tanach. As
> for sources in Chazal, I haven't seen them, but I assume Rav Hirsch
> (eg, see Artscroll Siddur to Aleinu L'shabeach) and the like must have
> had some Talmudic or Midrashic source somewhere.
> Mikha'el Makovi

Also, I have seen the same philosophy put forth in so many places
(trying to cite them would be like trying to cite where I've seen the
idea that Shabbat testifies to creation), it can't simply be some
canard someone made up. If I get the chance I'll try to find a few
specific places. But I know Rav Hirsch follows it (maybe 19 Letters or
Horeb has something), and all the philosophical justifications for the
Noachide laws that I've seen, say that these laws exist to show that
being Jewish is not a prerequisite to receiving Hashem's favor.

Mikha'el Makovi