[Avodah] Chiyuv l'kabel gerim

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 08:16:42 PST 2008

> > Isn't the whole idea behind dissuading would-be converts, that Hashem
> > loves gentiles as they are (if they keep their laws)?

> Where do you see such an idea? It is clear that we dissuade would be
> converts because converts are typically harmful for the Jewish people -
> either because they are the highest quality Jews or because they are the
> lowest quality Jews. It is not because G-d loves them as they are.

In the sources we have seen, I have admittedly not seen this idea. But
in more modern (but Orthodox) writings, I have seen nothing except the
idea that gentiles are dissuaded because Hashem sees no need for them
to be Jewish. Indeed, if Jews are to be a light to the nations whose
purpose is to bring the rest of the nations to worship Hashem (but
still be their own independent non-Jewish nations - Yishayahu 2), then
the idea of converting all the world's people to Judaism is utterly
illogical and ridiculous.

The philosophy I'm following is easy to back up from the Tanach. As
for sources in Chazal, I haven't seen them, but I assume Rav Hirsch
(eg, see Artscroll Siddur to Aleinu L'shabeach) and the like must have
had some Talmudic or Midrashic source somewhere.

Mikha'el Makovi