[Avodah] Rav Kook-ian Zionism

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:31:41 PDT 2008

Last year, I attended the shiurim of Rabbi Moshe Kaplan at Machon
Meir, on the topic of Israel's redemption, in which he taught at geula
and  galut and the medina, etc. from the perspective of Rav Kook-ian
Zionism.

His shiurim are online at
http://www.machonmeir.org.il/english/archive.asp?language=English&cat_id=12,
and I have the notes from his class that maybe someday I'll form into
some sort of book, but until then, the following essay is a good
summary of what he taught. It lacks his extensive explanations that
formed the bulk of a 2-hour/week year-long year, but the skeleton is
there.

An interesting anecdote: Someone posted this essay on a certain
Satmar-ish online forum, and it got mercilessly lambasted for
representing views that that had no basis in Torah; i.e. Rav Kook made
it all up. Rabbi Kaplan soon saw why the replier thought this: all the
footnotes had been cut out out of the essay!

Mikha'el Makovi