[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Tue Mar 25 14:36:56 PDT 2008

Michael Makovi wrote:
>>  > Well, as I said, I've seen numerous statements that a nonreligious Jew
>>  > today is a tinok she'nishba/shogeg, and bears no guilt for what he
>>  > does, b'klal. I am having trouble remembering exactly where I have
>>  > seen this (too many places; it's like asking where I read that pork is
>>  > treif), but I know Einayim Lirot (English translation from Urim: Eyes
>>  > to See) has a chapter on this.
>>  > Mikha'el Makovi

To reiterate. You are claiming that the individual members of
Reform/Conservative have 1) the halachic status of  tinok shenishba and
that consequently they bear  no guilt at for their actions which violate
the Torah. However the correct use of the term tinok shenishba (Shabbos
68a) is concerning one who is totally ignorant of being Jewish and of
anything about Torah. Once they receive some knowledge they are
responsible for not finding out more. It is questionable whether  they
are still tinok shenishba after this point. From our perspective the
issue is primarily whether we can aid them to do teshuva and whether
they are a threat to our communities. They are not given a free pass
that exempts them from mitzvos. Their rabbinical leadership is even more
liable because they are much more aware  of their deviation from
traditional Torah observance. It is also true that it is not always
helpful to have direct confrontations - but that is a question of
politics and sociology.

You provide 3 citations to support your contention

1) Dr.  Richard Joel - his statement is not about tinok shenishba nor
does he refer to guilt. Not relevant

2) You cite an approbation of R' Zalman Nechemia Goldberg. Says nothing
about tinok shenishba or guilt. Not relevant

3) You menton R' Kasher - without quoting what  he actually said - that
non-religious Jews have the status of tinok shenishba. Also don't see
the relevance. Does he say that therefore they bear  no guilt for their
sins?

These are not serious citations.

I have cited the Rambam, Rav Moshe Feinstein, Rav Henkin and the Ginas
Veradim and yet you have not produced a single posek who disagrees. At
this point you said you are only not sure whether the Chazon Ish is
understood as consistent with the others and is thus describing a tactic
to get them to do teshuva - even though they are sinners.

Let me add a few more sources  that  clearly indicate the uneducated
masses  bear guilt for sinning. I have more if these are not  adequate
including the Radvaz, R' Ovadia Yosef, R'  Wosner, Tzitz  Eliezar.

*Igros Moshe (**Orech Chaim 4:91.6): **Question: *Is it permissible to
make a minyan  in a room  of a Conservative synagogue which does not
conduct themselves according to the halacha? *Answer*: There is a basic
distinction that needs to be made. Concerning the Conservative
synagogues it is not permitted  to make a minyan even in a different
room since it is well known that they are a group who reject a number of
laws of the Torah. The gemora (Avoda Zara 17a) says that one must stay
far away from heretics, heresy and idolatry. Therefore even heretics
for  one issue of the Torah are considered rejecters of the Torah as is
stated in the Rambam(Hilchos Teshuva 3:8) and they have the full status
of heretics as  is  stated in Hilchos Teshuva (3:6). Even though they
are inadvertent heretics and are like tinok shenishba (captive children
amongst non‑Jews) because they have been raised that way by their
parents and  their surroundings. They therefore aren’t punished by
Heaven and they aren't punished by being lowered into a pit and not
taken out which is mentioned in the Rambam (Hilchos Rotzeach 4:10) as is
stated in the Rambam (Hilchos Mamrim 3:3). Nevertheless they are
heretics and it is necessary to stay away from them as is stated in
Avoda Zara (17a). This that the Rambam (Hilchos Mamrim 3:3) concludes by
saying that these descendants of the original heretics who are tinok
shenishba should be brought back to proper religious observance and they
are to be drawn to this with peaceful words until they return to the
correct practice of Torah is not relevant in their gathering places
i.e., their synagogues which is not a place of repentance and not every
person is appropriate for this. In contrast those Orthodox synagogues
which are not run properly e.g., they don’t have a proper mechitza or
they use a microphone are not – G‑d forbid – rejecters of these mitzvos.
They simply don’t treat  them with proper seriousness even  though they
essentially believe in all the mitzvos of the Torah  and  just over time
came to incorrectly treat these prohibited things as something
permitted. They are essentially good Jews and on occasion their
non-observance of some mitzvos is totally inadvertent. Concerning the
Orthodox Jews who are lax in their observance there is no requirement to
keep away from them. Consequently it is permitted to make a separate
minyan in a different room of their synagogue. That is permitted only if
it is done in a manner that no one would suspect that they are praying
in the  main sanctuary. For example if it has been publicized already or
even before becoming well known if there is a separate entrance.
Concerning whether it is appropriate to rebuke this latter group – if
there is a reasonable possibility they will listen then they should be
rebuked but if not it is better that they sin inadvertently.

*Binyan Tzion - New (#23): This is a theoretical halachic view which is
not meant to be for actual practice… *Regarding Jewish sinners of our
time, I am not sure what their halachic status is since due to our many
sins the disease has spread so much that  the majority of them view
Shabbos desecration to be permitted. Perhaps they have the halachic
status of those who think what they are doing is entirely permitted
(omer mutar) which is only close to being a deliberate sinner. There are
some of them who pray on Shabbos and make Kiddush but afterwards they
violate Shabbos by doing work prohibited by both the Torah and the
Rabbis. The fact is that one who transgresses the laws of Shabbos is
considered as a heretic because by rejecting Shabbos he is rejection
Creation and the Creator. However this person is acknowledging Shabbos,
Creation and the Creator through his prayers and making Kiddush.
Furthermore their children who come after them - who have never known or
even heard about the laws of Shabbos – are identical  to the Tzadokim
who are not considered heretics even though they profane Shabbos because
they are simple imitating the actions of their parents [and not because
they are willfully transgressing Shabbos]. Thus they are considered like
tinok shenishba (children who were captured by and raised amongst
non‑Jews). This is mentioned in simon 385 and also the Mabit (1:37)
writes, “It is also possible that even concerning the Tzadokim who do
not normally live amongst Jews and therefore don’t know the basic
aspects of the religion and are not disrespectful against the rabbis of
the generation – are also not considered as violating the laws
deliberately.” Many of the sinners  of the present generation are
similar to them and are even better than them.  And this that R’
Shimshon was strict with the Karaites to consider their wine as
non‑Jewish wine was not because they violated the holidays [because they
had a different calendar] which is comparable to violating Shabbos.
Rather he was stringent with them because they rejected fundamental
principles of Judaism such a the way of doing circumcision and they
didn’t accept the laws of divorce and marriage – which caused  their
children to be mamzerim. However concerning these fundamentals, the
majority of sinners in our day have not transgressed them. Consequently
in my humble opinion those who wish to treat the touching of wine by
these modern sinners as prohibited stam wine  - they should be blessed.
However even those who are lenient in this matter have authorities to
justify their actions - as long as it has not been determined that these
transgressors actually know about the laws of Shabbos and are arrogantly
violating Shabbos in the presence of 10 Jews. If that is true than it is
definite that they are full heretics and the wine they touch is prohibited.

*Yabiya Omer(3:21):*Greater than this we find concerning the Karaites of
modern times who are considered tinok shenishba amongst the non‑Jews.
Nevertheless if they are warned about their transgressions but they
don’t want to return to observing the Oral Torah they are to be killed.
This is stated in the Mishna LeMelech (Hilchos Malve v’loveh 5:2) in the
name of the Mabit and the Radvaz. This is also the view of Maharam ben
Chaviv in Kol Gadol (#27). Nevertheless they are invalid to serve as
witnesses as  is stated in the Maharksh (#33). And this is surely true
concerning those non‑observant Jews who are found amongst us and they
see that the religious woman cover their har and wear modest clothing.
Therefore it is certain that after they have been warned and cautioned
regarding religious observance they are considered as deliberately
transgressing the Torah. And even R’ Akiva Eiger who permits those who
shave with a razor to be witnesses because they don’t think that shaving
is prohibited – that is only where they have not been warned against the
practise. However if they were informed that they are not valid
witnesses because of shaving it is clear from his teshuva  that they are
invalid witnesses. … And  surely where the beis din warns her and
instructs here that an action is completely prohibited – if she
transgresses what she was warned about she is divorced and doesn’t
receive her kesubah because she is viewed as deliberately sinning and
there is no greater religious transgression than this.