[Avodah] R' Angel & Geirus Redux

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 11:19:04 PDT 2008

>  > Well, as I said, I've seen numerous statements that a nonreligious Jew
>  > today is a tinok she'nishba/shogeg, and bears no guilt for what he
>  > does, b'klal. I am having trouble remembering exactly where I have
>  > seen this (too many places; it's like asking where I read that pork is
>  > treif), but I know Einayim Lirot (English translation from Urim: Eyes
>  > to See) has a chapter on this.
>  > Mikha'el Makovi

>  It would be helpful if you gave "specific citations" instead of vague
>  recollections.
> R' Daniel Eidensohn

I had said that (almost?) every MO writing I have seen implicitly
assumes that today's R/C are tinokim she'nishbu. I just now found a
random source. It will be obvious why I cannot remember the sources;
they are so apropos of nothing and so "by-the-way/as-an-aside" that
only a photographic memory could recall them:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/125677
Dr. Richard Joel: "Most people aren't even leaving Judaism or
rejecting it - Judaism was watered down and they simply never
experienced it. I want them to walk away and go, 'Wow! This Jewish
stuff is really important to me.'

Additionally, I had said that Ravs Kook and Hirsch seem to assume R/C
are tinokot she'nishbu. I just found at R' Gil Student's "The
Religious Zionism Debate XV"
(http://hirhurim.blogspot.com/2005/09/religious-zionism-debate-xiv.html),
the following that corroborates my association of Rav Kook with this
shita of Hazon Ish's:

III. Today's Non-Religious
Earlier in the volume [Ha-Tekufah Ha-Gedolah] (ch. 6, pp. 100-101), R.
Kasher argues that non-religious Jews today are different than the
wicked of earlier generations. Citing the Hazon Ish and Rav Kook, R.
Kasher explains that because non-religious Jews in the current era
were not raised and educated in a traditional Orthodox environment
they have the status of tinokos she-nishbu.

Mikha'el Makovi