[Avodah] ashkenaz and sefard

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 06:14:25 PST 2008

Ashekanzic Liturgy kept Kallir from Israel and Meshulam Ben Kalonymos
of Lucca Italy. IT is fairly well-established fact that Ashkenaz
,looked up to Italy and Italy to Israel in terms of Minhaggim etc.

The usual claim is much stronger. That ashkenaz ie German Rhineland
Jewry actually came there from Italy and that Italian 800 CE Jews came
there from EY.
I am away from my books but I believe Grossman has a discussion in his
books on early ashkenaz with a more varied background of ashkenazi
heritage

see also wikipedia on ashekazi jews
Eli Turkel