[Avodah] Girl Scout cookies

Akiva Blum ydamyb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 04:47:43 PST 2008

Second, we don't do bitul
intentionally.  For both of these reasons the cookie is dairy, and  can't
be eaten after meat.

<<<

>>This isn't  intentional. It was already botul when she received  it.<<

The whey was not added by the girl who sold the cookies, but it WAS  added
intentionally.  It doesn't matter /who/ added it.  It was still  added
intentionally.  It's right there in the ingredients list!  What  more proof do you need
that it was intentional??  And it's not as if just  one box or one batch
happened to have a little whey dropped in.  They  keep doing it!

<<<

(FWIW, the "she" is the wife, not the girl)

Generally, the intention we refer to is the intention for bitul, not the intention for adding.
However, where the addition was made for a specific person, we consider it as if that person himself intended to add, and therefore to do bitul. In the case of a producer for selling to Jews as well as non-Jews, and there is an increase in production because of the Jews, it is considered as if the Jews themselves added bemaizid (Tshuvas Rashbash quoted by Darkei Tshuva 108, and KSA of Rav Pfeifer).
In our case, even bemaizid isn't milchik because there's no issur here.

Akiva