[Avodah] Girl Scout cookies

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 08:41:22 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Akiva Blum <ydamyb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Second, we don't do bitul
> intentionally.  For both of these reasons the cookie is dairy, and  can't
> be eaten after meat.
>
> <<<
>
> >>This isn't  intentional. It was already botul when she received  it.<<
>

> The whey was not added by the girl who sold the cookies, but it WAS  added
> intentionally.  It doesn't matter /who/ added it.  It was still  added
> intentionally.  It's right there in the ingredients list!  What  more
> proof do you need
> that it was intentional??  And it's not as if just  one box or one batch
> happened to have a little whey dropped in.  They  keep doing it!
>
> <<<
>
> (FWIW, the "she" is the wife, not the girl)
>
> Generally, the intention we refer to is the intention for bitul, not the
> intention for adding.
> However, where the addition was made for a specific person, we consider it
> as if that person himself intended to add, and therefore to do bitul. In the
> case of a producer for selling to Jews as well as non-Jews, and there is an
> increase in production because of the Jews, it is considered as if the Jews
> themselves added bemaizid (Tshuvas Rashbash quoted by Darkei Tshuva 108, and
> KSA of Rav Pfeifer).
> In our case, even bemaizid isn't milchik because there's no issur here.
>
> Akiva

See Rema 99:6 re: chcalv taht fell into water.

Nire'h li pashut that it is  problematic to add the cookies to a feligshig
recpie if one constgrues that the original bittul of the whey is construed
as bemeizid.

Nire'h li pashut if you do NOT consture the manufacturer as being mevateil
bemeizid that you may be mevatil it lechatchila [see Ba'ei Hetev in the name
of the Tach]

Nir'eh li pashut that to EAT said cookie after meat - even if the original
bittul was bemiezied - should be ok.[At most one should wait an hour.] We
ashkenazim hold that waiting is minhag not halachah, and there is not reason
to be machmir if the whey is battel.

The humra of waiting for a tacvshil of chlaval was added onlater andis NOT
mei'ikkar hadin anyway.  Thus, Sephardim who must wati 6 hours midin need
not wait becasue this is not halav but a tavshil at most

S'nif to be meikel is tosafos who requries Zero waiting is required [so
Behag and is the original Meimra/P'sak  of Rabbi Yochanan before emended to
conform with Rav Chisdah]

Kein Nir'eh lefi aniyas da'ati

[I originally discussed this years ago when Equal TABLETS had a dariy
ingredietn that was not in Equal posder.  I had assumed no davar hama'ami
etc. as being a factor.]

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com