[Avodah] Girl Scout cookies

Akiva Blum ydamyb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 23:40:24 PST 2008

Daniel Israel <dmi1 at hushmail.com> wrote:

David Riceman wrote:
> My wife recently brought home a few boxes of Girl Scout cookies.
> They're labeled OU Dairy, but when you read the list of ingredients the
> only dairy ingredient (whey) is third on the list headed by "contains
> less than 2% of:".  Is one permitted to eat these cookies after eating
> meat?  If not, why not?

First of all, AFAIK (as someone else mentioned), bitul only occurs when
there is a davar issur involved.
<<<

Bitul occurs even hetter in hetter. Y.D. Ramo 96:6

 Second, we don't do bitul
intentionally.  For both of these reasons the cookie is dairy, and can't
be eaten after meat.

<<<

This isn't intentional. It was already botul when she received it.

(I _think_ if this cookie fell into chicken soup it would count as less
than 2% dairy, rather than all dairy, so it would be batel in about 1.2
cookie volumes of soup, assuming that it instantly disintegrated and
became an non-distinct part of the mixture.)
<<<

Correct. Y.D. 94:6

Akiva