[Avodah] Girl Scout cookies

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Feb 27 06:56:11 PST 2008

kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
> When a drop of milk falls into a pot of chicken soup, the milk is batel. I've always wondered if part of the mechanics is that we declare the mixture to be mutar because the alternative would be a bal tashchis problem. But if a drop of milk falls into a pot of water, perhaps we simply consider the whole thing to be dairy, because there is no threat of bal tashchis. Or maybe we do use the principles of bitul to consider it pareve.

It's clear that bittul does apply generally.  Your example is a peculiar
one because of the water.

In my initial question I thought the problem centered on the
heterogeneity of the cookies.  It seems safe to assume that the whey is
included because it does affect the flavor or texture of the cookie.
But the cookie is heterogenous.  If all of the whey is in the chocolate
coating, is that battel to the cookie interior? Does it depend on the
manner in which you eat the cookie?

David Riceman