[Avodah] Girl Scout cookies

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Feb 27 10:24:39 PST 2008

I wrote:
> In my initial question I thought the problem centered on the
> heterogeneity of the cookies.  It seems safe to assume that the whey
> is included because it does affect the flavor or texture of the
> cookie.  But the cookie is heterogenous.  If all of the whey is in the
> chocolate coating, is that battel to the cookie interior? Does it
> depend on the manner in which you eat the cookie?
On eating heterogenous food see Tos.  Zevahim 78a s.v. "Hapigul
V'Hanosar ...."  On reflection, though, it seems that it should matter
whether the function of the whey is flavor or texture, since basar
v'halav (and especially a derivative custom like waiting between eating
meat and milk) is dependent on flavor (H. Maachalos Assuros 9:16, Rashi
Hullin 116b s.v. "Im yesh bah" - - Tos. Hullin 116a s.v. "Hama'amid ..."
is relevant to the general question of how much information we need) and
not on the presence of issur (something I should have mentioned to the
posters who denied the possibility of bitul).

David Riceman