[Avodah] Girl Scout cookies

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Tue Feb 26 19:27:19 PST 2008

R' David Riceman asked:
> They're labeled OU Dairy, but when you read the list of
> ingredients the only dairy ingredient (whey) is third on
> the list headed by "contains less than 2% of:".  Is one
> permitted to eat these cookies after eating meat?  If not,
> why not?

Do the halachos of bitul apply to mixtures of milk and pareve?

When a drop of milk falls into a pot of chicken soup, the milk is batel. I've always wondered if part of the mechanics is that we declare the mixture to be mutar because the alternative would be a bal tashchis problem. But if a drop of milk falls into a pot of water, perhaps we simply consider the whole thing to be dairy, because there is no threat of bal tashchis. Or maybe we do use the principles of bitul to consider it pareve.

I'm pretty sure I once saw this discussed somewhere but I cannot find it. Anyone else?

(Of course, I presume that all the above would apply equally to mixtures of meat and pareve.)

Akiva Miller