[Avodah] Does God Change His Mind?

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Tue Feb 26 15:03:23 PST 2008

Regarding:
"How about this: if Levi honestly believes that if he speaks lashon
hara, he will die. Instantly. Don't you agree Levi will be the best
hilchot lashon hara observer ever? I wager he'll be better than the
Chofetz Chaim! But the fact remains that his idea that he will die
instantly, is wrong. 100% wrong. But it still strengthened his
observance, didn't it?"

If Levi is suicidal, then he would be very inclined to speak lashon
hara. It would put him out
of his misery. So no, it isn't necessarily true that Levi will be the
best hilchat lashon hara
observer ever. And certainly not better than the Chofetz Chaim. And if
he was a normal person,
and his erroneous thinking strengthened his observance, the maxim "he
did the right thing for the
wrong reason" would be applicable. I would rather do the wrong thing
for the right reason because
ultimately we are going to be judged by intent.

Regarding Immanuel Kant, who was brought up in discussion, he was
baptized Emanuel but interestingly,
changed his name to Immanuel after he learned some Hebrew. Kant felt
that because of man's limitations of reason,
no one could really know if there is a God and an afterlife, and
conversely that no one could really know that there was not a God and
an afterlife.
Therefore, he contended for the sake of society and morality,  people
are reasonably justified in believing in them (God and olam haba),
even though there
was no way to know for sure. In some sense he was reflecting free will
and suggested hedging one's bets.
ri