[Avodah] Does God Change His Mind?

Michael Makovi mikewinddale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 04:21:08 PST 2008

>Kant felt
>  that because of man's limitations of reason,
>  no one could really know if there is a God and an afterlife, and
>  conversely that no one could really know that there was not a God and
>  an afterlife.
>  Therefore, he contended for the sake of society and morality,  people
>  are reasonably justified in believing in them (God and olam haba),
>  even though there
>  was no way to know for sure. In some sense he was reflecting free will
>  and suggested hedging one's bets.
>  ri

Of course, this does very little to inspire conscientious observance.
Kant shows that it is logical and reasonable to behave properly, but
who says I want to be logical and reasonable? See Dayan Grunfeld to
Horeb, Rabbi Berkovits G-d Man and History, and probably a million
other places, on this fact.

Mikha'el Makovi