[Avodah] Roast lamb

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 20:51:42 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 9:30 AM, Elazar M. Teitz <remt at juno.com> wrote:

> R. Rich Wolpoe writes:
>
> <Roasting in a pot is not halachically roasting at all in Yorei Dei'ah
> even w/o any added water. [the meat will ooze its juices soon enough].
>
> Therefore I cannot fathom why it would be assur at all [even as a minhag
> or humra] on the Seder Night!  Such "zli k'edierah" is 100% not acceptable
> for Korban Pesach so what is the cheshash on Seder night?>
>
>     See Mishna B'rura 476:1, who answers your question. It's because of
> maris ayin, to prevent confusing it with legitimately broiled meat.
>
>     Obviously, those who made the takanah went to great lengths to prevent
> any chance of the eating of kodashim bachutz or the appearance thereof.
>
> EMT
> ________

Sounds like a Gzeira on a Gziera on a minhag.  After all there WERE places
that allow Zli mamash

I see the MB's sources in Sha'ar Hatziyyun as Magen Avrahm and Sha'agas
Aryeh - yet
Chochmas Adam [for example] specifies that zli keidar is NEVER consider Zli
w/o mentioning this exception.

I'm no sure I understand the mar'is ayyin here.  Z,li Keidar does not
usually resemble zli eish, as the liquid oozes it raosts in its juices
totally different than raosting on a fire where the juices ooze into the
fire. The product does not look the same.

Any source earlier than the Magen Avraham on this?  Anyone [asidee from
Sephardim] that do not buy into this Chumra?

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com