[Avodah] manipulating bodily energies

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sat Jan 12 15:56:51 PST 2008

Richard Wolpoe wrote:

> A guest  poster Reform jew  on Avodah about 10+ years ago stated that
> while Reform is certainly challengd by Shemiras Shabbos etc. that AZ
> mamash is MORE likley in the Orthodox community
>
> I used to debate people about this;
> Reform accept kabals Ol Malchus Shamayim but reject Ol Mitzvos
> Orthodox accept both
> But nowadays there seem to be many types of Jews who accept ol Mitzvos
> but have chas vshalom rejected Monotheism...
>
> Examples: Praying to avos at kever Avos
> Praying to malachim
> etc.

This is moreshes avosenu, and if it doesn't fit in with your idea
of monotheism then so much the worse for monotheism.  I believe in
Yiddishkeit - if you choose describe it as monotheistic, then so be
it, I'm a monotheist; but if you then change the definition of
monotheism so that Yiddishkeit no longer fits it, then fine, I'm
not a monotheist.  My father never taught me about "monotheism",
and it's probably not even in his working vocabulary.  My zeide
probably did know the word, and could spell it and make a stab at
pronouncing it, but I never heard him use it.  My elter-zeide never
even *heard* of it.  They all believed in Hashem Echod, and also in
all these "superstitions" that are apparently not consistent with
your monotheism.  And that doesn't bother me in the least.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.