[Avodah] Chazal are Infallible

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Sep 19 13:58:43 PDT 2006

Micha Berger wrote:

> : Unfortunately, it doesn't explain the gemara, but the Rambam wasn't
> : commenting on that, so he doesn't have to deal with it.  Tosfos,
> : which does have to deal with the gemara, notes the problem, and
> : doesn't even offer an attempt at resolving it.

> I do not know what you mean by "doesn't explain the gemara". Please elaborate.
> The gemara, like the mishnah, works with the assumption that since we can't
> get perfect precision, we have a de'Oraisa telling us what to use.

No, the gemara (on that mishna in Eruvin) isn't talking about what to
do lemaaseh - it's talking about the yam shel shlomo, and it insists
that the dimensions given in the Tanach are precise, without even a
mashehu of approximation; it even insists that even though the rim
was very thin, even that mashehu can't be taken into account, because
both measurements were taken on the inside.  It seems to me impossible
that the author of that piece of gemara knew that both the mishna and
the pasuk are approximating.  As I said, Tosfos notes the problem and
moves on, as must we.  Vaiter gegangen.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.